Saturday 6 September 2014

Listening Ideas

With the GCSE course having a heavy focus on speaking and writing, I sometimes feel listening practice gets pushed to one side apart from students listening to me or their peers. This year I aim to not neglect this particular skill so I've been digging around for ideas on how to involve listening tasks more in my lessons. Here are a few ideas: 
1. Gap fill. Sentences could be in the foreign language or English so students have to translate the answer first. 
2. Bingo. Give out grids with words or phrases. This task could be differentiated easily. Higher ability could have more to listen out for or more difficult language/structures. 
3. Order the words. Students put key words or phrases in the order they hear them.
4. Bash the table. Students bang the table every time they hear a sport etc. For a quieter activity they could stand up and sit down instead. 
5. Tick or add. Ask students to brainstorm key words from a particular topic (sports/hobbies for example). During the listening they either tick the hobby as they hear it or add it to their list if they don't have it. 
6. Music videos. I used to include lots of music in my lessons and aim to do so again. Top 10 is good for finding out what's current, Disney songs on YouTube. 
7. Are my answers correct? Students are marking questions that are already answered. Or get them to predict their own answers before listening. 
8. Dictation. Good old fashioned dictation or letter by letter to practise the alphabet and students have to work out where to put the gaps. 
9. Draw answers. Instead of writing students can give answers with pictures. 
10. Spontaneous speaking in the target language in the classroom is listening (I know - that's listening to me and their peers but I wanted to add it to the list!)
11. Get them to answer in pencil or on mini whiteboards. It will feel less like a test. 
12. Use the reading time. Work through the question with them so they know what kind of answer they are listening for. 
13. Think, pair, share. 
14. Use the transcript to harvest new vocabulary and structures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment