Friday 14 February 2014

Human Dominoes

Thanks to @tomhockaday for reminding me of this at #ililc4.

There are many names for this activity and I've called it a round robin in the past. As students enter the classroom, get them to take a slip of paper with an English sentence on and a different sentence in the target language. Someone else in the room will have a matching English sentence and someone else a matching TL one. 

One student reads out their TL sentence and the student who has the matching English sentence stands up. They then read out their TL one and it continues until the whole class has read out theirs. 

I wanted to get the whole class involved so I did it slightly differently yesterday. Each student had their slips of paper and I asked them to get in a circle around the room. I left them to it and they had to find the two students that would stand either side of them. After they had finished, we read out the phrases to check they were in the right place. 

As an extension, I asked them to write the English of their target language sentence. Ignoring the other typed English sentences, they then played Quiz, Quiz, Trade. 

As a final activity, in groups, they had to write a paragraph using the sentences they had in their hands and not their original. I got them to write on mini white boards and took a photo. Next lesson, we will peer assess as a class and in pairs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment